Maintenance Worker - Water
FRISCO TEXAS US 75033
Job Code :
PC# 291, 288
% of Travel Required :
Job Type :
Full Time with Benefits
Career Level :
High School or equivalent
Construction -> Laborer, Construction
Construction, Mining and Trades
13.38 USD Per Hour
Job Description :
Summary: Under general supervision of a Utilities Supervisor with some direction from the Crew Leader, the Maintenance Worker performs a variety of tasks in the general installation, maintenance and repair of water system mains, water pipes, and provides support to the public and assigned City departments and divisions.
The intent of this position description is to provide a representative summary of the major duties and responsibilities performed by incumbent(s) in this position. Incumbent(s) may not be required to perform all duties in this description and incumbent(s) may be required to perform position-related tasks other than those specifically listed in this description.
Essential Job Functions:
- Assists in the installation, maintenance and repair of City water utilities to include water pipes, water pumps and water main systems.
- Performs a variety of routine to skilled work to inspect, install, maintain, and repair water distribution pipelines and related appurtenances; inspects and tests lines in the distribution system; threads and fits pipes.
- Performs valve maintenance and leak detection with the use of electronic devices.
- Turns on and off main line valves, hydrants, and fire service lines; pressure tests lines of new construction; exercises valves and hydrants.
- Monitors equipment operator to prevent damage to other utility lines while digging.
- Answers emergency calls from the public and other agencies taking appropriate action such as repairs to water system or sewer system.
- Completes reports on daily work assignments and activities as required.
- Organizes tools, equipment and supplies necessary to complete assignments.
- Inspects, cleans and maintains equipment and tools in safe operating order.
- Performs routine inspections of assigned areas to detect any necessary repairs or hazardous conditions.
- Maintains safety regulations including wearing appropriate clothing, erecting proper barricades and signage and using proper equipment and tools.
Other Important Duties:
- May be required to assists in the setup, teardown, and cleanup for special events and meetings.
- May occasionally be required to work on-call, evenings or weekends.
- Travels to attend meetings and training.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- Regular and consistent attendance for the assigned work hours is essential.
Job Requirements :
Required Knowledge and Skills:
- Knowledge of general maintenance and repair techniques for common tools and equipment used in general construction and maintenance work; and their basic safety precautions and procedures.
- Knowledge of the operation and maintenance of assigned light equipment, power and hand tools.
- Knowledge of safe handling techniques of hazardous chemicals and materials.
- Knowledge of City policies and procedures.
- Skill in following oral and written communications and directions.
- Skill in planning and organizing materials and supplies necessary to complete work orders or daily assignments.
- Skill in operating assigned equipment, tools and vehicles.
- Skill in resolving customer complaints and concerns.
- Ability to maintain effective working relationships.
- Ability to follow City policies and procedures.
Preferred Education, Experience, and Certifications:
- Prefer High School Diploma or GED or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- May be required to obtain certification or licensure specific to area of assignment within six (6) months from date of employment.
- Must pass a pre-employment drug screen, physical agility test, criminal background check and MVR check.
- Must possess valid State of Texas Drivers License and must obtain State of Texas Class A CDL within six (6) months of employment date.
Environmental Factors and Conditions/Physical Requirements:
- Work is performed in an outdoor environment.
- May be subject to repetitive motion and heavy manual labor such as painting, digging, repairing water/sewer lines, transporting, delivering and picking up debris, or other required equipment.
- May be confined to small spaces.
- Daily physical labor that includes extended periods of sitting, standing, bending, reaching, kneeling, entering enclosed spaces, climbing ladders, lifting heavy equipment, digging potholes, swinging a sledgehammer, driving a dump truck, operating other equipment and other similar physically exerting activities on a daily basis
- May be exposed to moving traffic, extreme weather conditions, hazardous chemicals, fumes, heights, confined spaces, trenches, air and water borne pathogens, body fluids, infectious diseases, rodents and insects.
- Must be able to lift up to 85 pounds.
Equipment and Tools Utilized:
- Equipment utilized includes sledge hammer, shovel, dump truck, hand/power tools and equipment specific to area of assignment, ladders, testing equipment, generators, water pumps, and department vehicles.
To submit your resume for this job, select how you heard about the job and then click the "Submit Your Resume" button below.
(NOTE: You need to have an account created in order to refer someone. Clicking this button will ask you to log in. If you are a returning user, log in to refer the person. If you are a new user, please create a Resume Profile first.)