Frisco TX US 75034
Job Code :
% of Travel Required :
Job Type :
Full Time with Benefits
Career Level :
High School or equivalent
Law Enforcement, and Security
From 17.46 To 21.39 USD Per Hour
Job Description :
Under general supervision of the Detention Supervisor, the Detention Officer performs all duties necessary for the successful operation of the Detention Facility. Performs booking procedures into and out of the municipal detention facility and monitoring the care of the prisoners in the detention facility. Must be available to work any shift, holidays and/or weekends.
The intent of this position description is to provide a representative summary of the major duties and responsibilities performed by incumbent(s) in this position. Incumbent(s) may not be required to perform all duties in this description and incumbent(s) may be required to perform position-related tasks other than those specifically listed in this description.
Essential Job Functions:
- Performs booking procedures into/out of the municipal detention facility, including logging in of property, recording names into the arrest book and onto the computer, fingerprinting, photographing and conducting a secondary search for weapons/drugs before putting prisoners into cells.
- May administer intoxilyzer tests and video tape persons arrested for Driving While Intoxicated (DWI).
- Monitors care of prisoners in the detention facility, including meals, minor medical attention, showers, visitors and telephone calls.
- Issue prisoner towels and personal hygiene articles.
- May be required to dispense medication as prescribed.
- Monitors prisoners during arraignment proceedings.
- Escorts prisoners from on area to another, including out-of-building escorts as required.
- May be required to transfer prisoners to and from area detention facilities in city vehicle.
- Visually and through the use of remote video surveillance equipment, performs cell checks to monitor prisoner status and behavior.
- Explains bail and bond-out options to prisoners charged with offenses; accepts bail, bonds or fines from and completes release forms for prisoners.
- Locks cell doors, take physical action to prevent escapes and/or assaults, subdue combative/violent prisoners.
- Facilitate prisoner visitations with relatives and legal counsel.
- Assists in preparing appropriate documentation to ensure the timely transfer of prisoners.
- Attend/testify in all criminal and civil courts when summoned.
- Assist the public and Departmental personnel with requests by telephone, in written communications, and in person.
- Stock office supply inventories and monitor detention center equipment and supplies.
- Cleans detention facilities.
Other Important Duties:
- Maintains various paper and computer records.
- Prepares reports as required.
- Attend training schools/seminars and other City related events which may require occasional overnight travel.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- Regular and consistent attendance for the assigned work hours is essential.
Job Requirements :
Required Knowledge and Skills:
Preferred Education, Experience, and Certifications:
- Must have knowledge of cash handling procedures, including the ability to accurately collect and county money and to make change.
- Must have knowledge of local, state and federal laws, regulations and procedure applicable to incarceration of prisoners and civil rights.
- Knowledge of penal codes as they relate to incarceration of prisoners.
- Knowledge of internal detention security and order standards
- Health and safety standards applicable to Detention facilities.
- Must be knowledgeable of the order and decorum standards for appearing and testifying in court.
- Must be proficient in the use of computers and related equipment, hardware and software.
- Must be able to type 20 words per minute.
- Skill in effective oral and written communications including preparation and presentation of reports and materials
- Skill in resolving customer complaints and concerns.
- Knowledge of customer service and training methods and practices.
- Knowledge of City policies and procedures.
Environmental Factors and Conditions/Physical Requirements:
- High School Diploma or GED.
- Basic Jailer certification from TCLEOSE preferred or ability to obtain within 1 year of employment.
- Must be a United States citizen.
- Must be a minimum of 18 years of age.
- Must be able to successfully complete training in defensive tactics within 1 year of employment and maintain proficiency in defense tactics.
- Must pass a pre-employment drug screening, background check and post-offer physical agility exam.
- Must possess valid State of Texas Driver’s License.
Equipment and Tools Utilized:
- Work is performed in office and on-site environments.
- May be subject to repetitive motion such as typing, data entry and vision to monitor.
- May be subject to standing or sitting for extended periods. Requires walking, bending, reaching, kneeling, stooping, crawling, lifting and carrying such as setting up, installing, modifying, repairing and troubleshooting automated management information systems, personal computer equipment and related peripherals, and setting up training rooms.
- Must be able to lift up to 70 pounds.
- Maintains level of physical fitness to safely respond and assist other detention officers when necessary
- Must be able to restrain hostile and/or combative individuals.
The City of Frisco is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
- Proficiently operate all equipment in the Detention facility, including typewriter, video and audio equipment, computer terminal, multi-line telephone, photography equipment, cell door locks, personal alarms, two-way radio, intercom system, emergency breathing apparatus, food preparation equipment, calculator, laundry equipment and other related equipment as required.
- Equipment utilized includes personal computer, copier, calculator, fax machine, other standard office equipment, hand tools, computer peripherals and department vehicles.
- Operates computerized equipment such as electronic finger printer, computer imaging, computerized jail management system, NCIC/TCIC Computer System.
To submit your resume for this job, select how you heard about the job and then click the "Submit Your Resume" button below.
(NOTE: You need to have an account created in order to refer someone. Clicking this button will ask you to log in. If you are a returning user, log in to refer the person. If you are a new user, please create a Resume Profile first.)