FRISCO TX US 75034
Job Code :
% of Travel Required :
Job Type :
Career Level :
High School or equivalent
Administrative Support -> Heavy Phones
Law Enforcement, and Security
From 18.78 To 23.00 USD Per Hour
Job Description :
Under direct supervision of the Communications Supervisor(s), responds to emergency and non-emergency calls and dispatches needed services. Directs call to appropriate Fire Department and Police Department emergency services.
The intent of this position description is to provide a representative summary of the major duties and responsibilities performed by incumbent(s) in this position. Incumbent(s) may not be required to perform all duties in this description and incumbent(s) may be required to perform position-related tasks other than those specifically listed in this description.
Essential Job Functions:
Other Important Duties:
- Answers emergency and non-emergency telephone lines at the Police Station.
- Gathers information from callers including nature, severity, location and status of emergencies.
- Assesses need for response and dispatches services accordingly.
- Provides pre-arrival medical instructions on medical emergency calls.
- Assists Police Officers and first responders by relaying information regarding calls for service.
- Documents and corrects 911 location premise errors in CAD (Computer Assisted Dispatch).
- Enters data and maintains CAD for alarm permits and cautionary information in alert files.
- Notifies appropriate entities related to problems or complaints under their jurisdiction.
- Notifies hospital personnel of incoming ambulances, transmit status of patients.
- Answers Police Department administrative telephones and directs calls to requested or appropriate individual or department.
- Enters, maintains, updates and researches information into TCIC/NCIC (Texas Criminal Information Center and National Criminal Information Center) and TLETS/NLETS (Texas Law Enforcement Telecommunications System/National Law Enforcement Telecommunication System) databases.
- Ensures telephone and computer dispatch equipment is operational.
- Researches and responds to inquiries from other law enforcement agencies and departments.
- Completes data entry of police records and citations and other reports as assigned.
- Assists with training and cross-training of other employees.
- Performs duties required for accreditation process.
- Enters and maintains regional warrants in conjunction with the Frisco Municipal Court.
- Must be available to work varying shifts.
- Monitors several police, fire, and city radio’s as required.
- Required to attend meetings, conferences and training.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- Regular and consistent attendance for the assigned work hours is essential.
Job Requirements :
Required Knowledge and Skills:
Preferred Education, Experience, and Certifications:
- Knowledge of police emergency response practices and procedures.
- Knowledge of TCIC/NCIC and TLETS/NLETS rules, regulations, and requirements.
- Knowledge of methods, practices and procedures for responding to and dispatching emergency services utilizing computer aided dispatch system.
- Knowledge of computers and related equipment, hardware and software for researching, retrieving, and maintaining a variety of informational and tracking databases.
- Knowledge of City policies and procedures, Police Department General Orders, and Communications’ Standard Operating Procedures.
- Ability to work under stress and use sound judgment in emergencies.
- Ability to be assertive and calm in soliciting information from distressed callers.
- Ability to type at a speed necessary for successful job performance.
- Ability to quickly assimilate information and implement an appropriate course of action.
- Ability to verbally communicate clearly and concisely in English to ensure on-the-job safety.
- Skill in effective oral and written communications.
- Skill in responding effectively and appropriately to emergency calls for assistance.
- Skill in accessing and maintaining multiple police databases simultaneously.
- Skill in resolving customer complaints and concerns.
Environmental Factors and Conditions/Physical Requirements:
- High School Diploma or G.E.D., and one (1) year data entry or customer service representative experience; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Must obtain Texas Commission on Law Enforcement Telecommunicator Certification within six (6) months from date of employment.
- Must obtain IAED Emergency Medical Dispatch, TCIC/NCIC, Position 9-1-1 equipment, and TDD (Telecommunications Device for the Deaf) certification.
- Must be a United States citizen.
- Must be a minimum of 18 years of age.
- Must pass a pre-employment drug screen, hearing, polygraph test, psychological test, and criminal background check.
- May be required to possess State of Texas Drivers License.
Equipment and Tools Utilized:
- Work is performed in a police department communications section environment.
- May be subject to frequent repetitive motion such as typing, data entry and extended vision of monitors.
- May be subject to occasional bending, reaching, kneeling and lifting retrieving and replacing files and records.
- May be exposed to extended periods of sitting, viewing monitors and/or talking on the telephone or radio.
- May be exposed irate and hostile individuals, emergency situations, and a high stress environment.
- Must be able to lift 25 pounds.
Equipment utilized includes personal computer, copier, calculator, fax machine, other standard office equipment, police radio, video monitors, dispatch console, multiple law enforcement center databases and TDD.
The City of Frisco is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
To submit your resume for this job, select how you heard about the job and then click the "Submit Your Resume" button below.
(NOTE: You need to have an account created in order to refer someone. Clicking this button will ask you to log in. If you are a returning user, log in to refer the person. If you are a new user, please create a Resume Profile first.)